Friday, May 27, 2016

How do I find a physician for my child with spinal deformity?

When looking for a physician to care for pediatric spinal deformity it is recommended to seek out providers who are member of the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) and the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA).  The SRS is an organization which requires its member surgeons to have the care of spinal deformity occupy a majority of their clinical practice, and they must contribute to the scientific advancement of spinal deformity knowledge through research.  POSNA is a professional organization centered on the musculoskeletal care of children, from head to toe.  So for both organizations, pediatric spinal deformity occupies a part of their overall focus.  By selecting a physician who is a member of both organizations you will have someone who understands the musculoskeletal system of children and possesses the technical expertise, and interest, in spine deformity surgery. 

What are some other factors should I consider?

            Does the physician work (do surgery) at a tertiary-care children’s hospital?

            Does this hospital have ALL the services my child may need?        

                        A 24-hour pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) staffed by 24-hour pediatric intensivists

Pediatric-fellowship trained anesthesiologists

Pediatric-fellowship trained general surgeons

The full spectrum of pediatric medical specialists (i.e. cardiology, neurology, etc…)

A full-service pediatric radiology department (MRI, CT, ultrasound, bone scanning, etc…)

Hospital reputation (both word-of-mouth and U.S. New and World Report ranking)

            Physician training and experience

            Physician’s annual surgical volume of spine deformity


Next blogpost: Treatment Decision-making: Age and Magnitude

No comments:

Post a Comment